Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Teaching Dignity


We are leaving the hospital in a few hours with our new boy, and since Sunday I have been thinking about raising children, which always fosters a kind of enthusiastic anxiety. This morning as I am reading some of my regulars on the internet, I have been acutely aware of what it means to be a good person and been wondering how I might help my kids become good people. Fancy that I came across two nice little editorials that articulated well some of those traits that are not inherent but can be developed by an individual from an early age (daunting thought for a father). Both writers I have invoked before on the blog, not only because I think they are good writers but also because they are clear thinkers, whatever their politics or preferences may be. And you would do much better to actually read these pieces than read the rest of this entry.

The first was David Brooks's editorial on dignity, which emphasizes that a certain amount of artifice is necessary for functioning well. This fact is well-acknowledged in some of the materials that I am reading for my own research: conduct books and behavior manuals have been basically the same since the twelfth century, and most of the advice given then still applies today despite the regular scorn that current culture heaps upon them.

The second is from Roger Ebert, whose review of Transformers 2 caused a maelstorm of resentment from the philistines, and in response he defends intelligence and taste as markers of our teachability and curiosity, key traits of a full person.

These fortuitous editorials seem significant this morning for new parents, not only because I want to have a hand in teaching Calvin dignity, curiosity, teachability, and intelligence, but also because these are calls for my own renewal: dignity has never come naturally for me, although Brooks's point is that it doesn't come naturally for anybody, and curiosity and intelligence are characteristics I occasionally find lacking in my own activities, but hopefully I am teachable enough to show my kids how to acquire these traits by struggling to acquire them myself.

4 comments:

  1. You write with amazing lucidity, especially considering you just had an addition to the family. Congratulations! Cute picture and cool name to boot; it seems your son is predestined for greatness...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on a new child James! It's Rebecca from the RSC days. I think you should guest post for our blog the Apron Stage. Think about it. Not that you submit to peer pressure, but Marc Wilson is doing it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca, great to hear from you. I would love to guest post as long as I get to use profanity and dirty pictures.

    If Marc is going to do it, I will do it, unless of course Marc writes about how Clint Eastwood movies are bad. Maybe he should write about how America sucks and I can defend our great nation. Just hearing about a conversation on the fourth about that topic makes me wish I was present. I hope all is going well in the middle of nowhere. I heard New York is a lot like Provo, only without Glazies and the Training Table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. James, look at you! You have tres kids! And they're all so amazingly cute. Hope you and Kathryn are doing a better job with three than we did. (I'm sure you are.)

    ReplyDelete