Thursday, June 25, 2009

Torino Excelente

Earlier this year, film critic Roger Ebert, in his newish and popular blog, described the ways in which he is moved to tears during movies: “I never cry during sad moments in the movies, only during moments about goodness . . . What I experience is the welling up of a few tears in my eyes, a certain tightness in my throat, and a feeling of uplift.”

Ebert’s confession was part of a larger discussion about “positive psychology,” a recent movement in contemporary psychology that attempts to reconstruct human evolution based on our “positive” traits, such as kindness, generosity, love, and empathy, or what Dacher Keltner has called “survival of the kindest.” The trend sounds a little like Dr. Phil’s platitudes for getting real, but the practice has gained a marked respect in the mainstream media culture as well as in academics. Of course, there is something alluring, as well as radical, about academic respect for the study of goodness, what with the holy trinity of Hobbes-Nietzsche-Freud dominating politics, art, and psychology with such acrimony for so long.

The rest of Ebert’s blog entry is devoted to the moments in films that give rise to audience “elevation,” Jonathan Haidt’s term for the communal response “elicited by acts of virtue or moral beauty.” Ebert’s examples from film almost invariably come from the endings, and involve a sense of suspended joy; “When the movie is over, I don’t want to talk to anyone. After such movies I notice that many audience members remain in a kind of reverie.”

Now consider the moment in Clint Eastwood’s Gran Torino in which Thao is riding the Gran Torino by Lake Michigan and you can hear Walt Kowalski’s voice begin to sing the first lines of a little tune about a “heart inside a Gran Torino.” A cynic could quickly point out how manipulative the moment is, as if movies themselves are not manipulative by nature, but there is something pretty powerful in the scene that Ebert might identify as “human goodness.” I would also identify it as “human skill” because the movie earned that moment, which, given its premise, is no small feat. I reacted the same way Ebert would. Crying in movies is like eating a hamburger with a fried egg—it just creates the kind of satisfaction of a moment experienced well, a thing that momentarily reminds us that being human is way better than we’re told.


I will not proclaim that Gran Torino is the best movie I have ever seen. It is not the best Clint Eastwood movie I have ever seen. It isn’t even the best movie I have seen in the last month, but it is, in my cousin-in-law Caitlin’s word, fantastic. Eastwood consistently restores my faith in serious moviemaking: who doesn’t recall the time and place of their first Unforgiven viewing? Or their first The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly viewing? Unforgiven still astounds me, and I have seen it probably more than I have seen any other movie. Letters from Iwo Jima, which has a narrative oddly congruent with Gran Torino’s, was unforgettable. This is what I like: Eastwood does not deal in small themes: he goes for death, family, revenge, love, and God. Both Million Dollar Baby and Gran Torino have more to say about our relationship to organized religion than any other recent movies I can think of, and what is said has nothing to do with the dialogue but everything to do with the fact that religion and theology are presences of irreducible consequence: a thing to be approached and wrestled, an institution and paradigm that gives meaning and meaninglessness their particular tenor.

I suppose this post is an attempt to start a conversation about the merits of Eastwood’s films, and this one in particular, which has sparked the ire of my tall, bespectacled friend, and his (and the other) arguments against the film boil down to these five complaints:

1) the acting is bad
2) the pacing and editing is off
3) Eastwood’s growl
4) the misrepresentation of gangsters
5) the contrived script
But let me dismiss these arguments as quickly as I can, although if pressed I would elaborate:

1) the acting is not bad, because half the movie is about characters that try to act a certain way, and their acting in that way does not suit them. Picking up mannerisms and phrases from a different culture creates a behavioral disconnect, which the movie explores often and well.
2) the pacing and editing is not off, but this is an Eastwood movie, and he always uses a deliberate pace with longer takes that allow conversations beyond just talking. I have come to
recognize this as part of his style—he even makes his thrillers do that, and it is at times unsettling and at times illuminating.
3) the growl doesn’t need to be defended because it was perfect.
4) the misrepresentation of gangsters is something I know little about, but because I know more about “representation” in general, let me use the “acting” argument from above: when you are adopting other mannerisms, the effect is always a misrepresentation, in the way that Harold Bloom calls all readings misreadings. Gangsterism is a performance. Besides, from the very little I know about the Hmong specifically, the representation of them seemed pretty accurate, because here we are no longer talking about a “performance” lifestyle.
5) The script is perhaps contrived, and I am not sure how to defend that but to say that the scenes that matter did not seem contrived at all: the scene of Walt eating the Hmong food with an expression of sheer delight, the scene in which the priest and Walt have a drink at the bar, the scene of Walt calling his son, the scene of Walt suggesting that his tools can be borrowed, and every scene in which the car is present. So I’ll pick my battles, and those scenes did not seem contrived to me. But even if they were, they were contrived with the purpose of allowing the audience to grapple with situations and compositions that matter.

Now, I have argued with my bespectacled friend often (he claims that Spielberg has never made a decent movie, even though he’s more right about that than his dislike of Eastwood flicks), and he is sneaky smart, so I have to be careful, but I will defend Eastwood’s body of work as ardently as I would defend that a fried egg is really good on a hamburger. Gran Torino was a Gran Pelicula.

9 comments:

  1. Arrrrrrgh.

    You may interpret the preceding in the following two ways and you would be correct:

    1. Eastwood's annoying growl
    2. my rising ire

    Gran Torino was a Pelicula Estupido.

    Perhaps it was rash of me to say that Eastwood's entire oeuvre (ha! French insertions sound fancier than your Spanish insertions) is questionable having only seen a few, but I will defend my dislike of Gran Torino and Million Dollar Baby.

    The latter was an agenda movie that didn't have the decency to be upfront about it. It started out telling a compelling story then degenerated into moralizing in such a way that you felt used.

    Now to Torino. First of all, you can't be trusted because you used the word composition to talk about movies. Or do you call them films now? Plus you cried in the movie. You definitely can't cry and talk about its compositions.

    I think your argument about the acting is that when actors grapple with their parts we can see how real people play roles, act parts, put up fronts, etc. Is that right? But they're still bad actors. The priest is unbearably bad in every scene. Clint is doing his best to be the stock grumpy old man, and he won't let us forget it. The main actress does a decent job, and I can see your point about the kid, but everyone is so affected. You can see them straining--not to be their characters, but to be actors. Actors need to sort of sit in their roles. Think of Anthony Hopkins in Remains of the Day (who grappled with his identity without affect), or the kid in The 400 Blows (who's untrained acting creates a raw, palpable edge).

    You also spoke of it as moving, and how anything that was contrived was done artfully. I don't mind moving or contrived. I love Wes Anderson movies which are contrived and moving in zany ways. I'm a sucker for movies like Life is Beautiful. I just don't want a movie to force itself on me. Eastwood treats his audiences like they're stupid, and they won't get it unless he writes it into the story, shows it in some symbol, then discusses the symbol out loud. I'd like a movie to be a little more subtle and demanding.

    I can agree with your comment that fried eggs are awesome on hamburgers. And I'll even accept your (backhanded?) compliment that I am sneaky smart. I like to be sneaky. I could even reopen my thoughts on Spielberg (but not Tom Hanks), but I can't budge on Eastwood.

    Perhaps we could discuss it further at your place in Iowa sometime this summer?

    Sincerely,

    Your bespectacled friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it is true that you are not exactly sneaky smart, because everyone who has met you would recognize your smartness, but the sneaky part comes from me never quite knowing which angle you'll take, but whatever it is, it will be sneaky.

    The attack on Eastwood for doing propoganda films is certainly sneaky, but I don't really think you are right. I am inclined to say that Eastwood's movies do attempt to say something important, so it sometimes seems like he is making it political.

    And, for the record, I didn't say I cried in the movie, I just said that crying in movies was awesome, and that this movie made me think about crying in movies. So, if I didn't cry, at least I thought about crying in the same way I thought about its compositions. If that thinking was accompanied by tears, then that just means I can think and cry at the same time, which is the sister skill to my mom talking while crying everytime she speaks in church.

    I didn't think Eastwood's acting was strained, and I thought the Priest was actually very believable, but I can understand what you didn't like about it. I, though, am one who thinks Kevin Costner's weird performances are always good, so maybe I can't be trusted.

    Here's another reason I might not be trusted: I saw Anchorman again the other night with some friends, and when it was over I exclaimed without irony that we just witnessed a piece of cinematic history. I also really liked "Australia" and "I, Robot" and "The Break-Up." And Mark claims I liked "Firewall" and that I recommended it to him, and he is wrong, but if that is true, I should no longer be listened to ever.

    I like Wes Anderson movies as well, and I am lonely in saying that "The Life Aquatic" is his second best movie. In fact, it might be a fun exercise to list movies that give evidence to why we can't be trusted. I bet you have some real doozies. Adam can never be trusted because he liked "Witchboard 3: The Possession." Crato liked "Titanic" when he saw it with Amber and Beaver. You probably liked "Little Miss Sunshine."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Little Miss Sunshine. Dammit, I did. And I liked Gran Torino, and I liked Brain Donors and Top Secret. And I like Sublime, still. And I liked The Little Mermaid when I saw it in junior high. And I liked Ann of Green Gables. And I like whoppers and I like Malcolm Gladwell and I liked The Da Vinci Code (the novel) and I like Muse and I like Smooth Criminal and I like The Reader (an Oprah book).

    I'm scared that I like too much stuff, and like it unreflectively, like the people I sneer at in my mind. After listening to you two exchange views on Gran Torino I realize that most times--most times, and I'm an academic!--I just freakin' like stuff. And I'm no fan of the default lifestyle of anti-intellectual superficial enjoyment, but here I am nonetheless "liking" crap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brain Donors was a quality John Turturro film. I also like Muse. I don't really like Malcolm Gladwell, but even if his thinking is obvious, at least he is a clear thinker, which makes me kind of like him.

    And you obviously didn't like Anne of Green Gables if you spelled it with no "e." That is blasphemy for the people who make pilgrimages to Prince Edward Island. And the toppest secret out there is that Oprah is a discerning reader--you can usually trust her on her book choices. She did choose The Road, after all, and she had a "summer of Faulkner."

    You don't unreflexively like stuff, by the way, and I will tell you why: because you don't see stuff that you don't think will be good, and you are usually right. I know this to be true because you made fun of me for watching Sex and the City recently, and I knew I should not have watched it but I did anyway, and it made me the maddest I had been since Kathryn made me watch "Fool's Gold." So, just because you don't expose yourself to crap doesn't make you unreflexive, it just makes you efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This appears to be a conversation among friends, with an assumed audience, so to chime in too much would not be prudent.
    However, this sentence:

    I'm a sucker for movies like Life is Beautiful. I just don't want a movie to force itself on me.

    ...could destroy anyone's credentials, including the best of critics. Life is Beautiful is the single worst movie of the last 15 years. There is absolutely nothing good about it. I avoided it for quite some time until I finally gave into pressure from many people claiming it was worth seeing. My intuition was right, and you can take the anger that James felt after watching the City Sex movie and multiply by whatever large number you want. I was livid that it was thought up, made, and praised. It was like the worst of EFY talks - complete manipulation served on a bed of brainlessness. Pure stupidity.
    And you follow that up with a statement that you don't like movies to force themselves on you.
    This thread is no longer about Eastwood. It is about you, glasses guy who I don't know who you are.
    Love,
    James' older brother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. John,
    You know who Marc is, you just probably don't remember that you know. He is the guy whose blog is advertised on mine for being Harper + Sunny + Marc. And there are two camps on Life is Beautiful, and just for the sake of being different, I will fall in the middle. I mean, I can't fault Benigni for trying to do what he was doing, and I thought there were decent moments, and Benigni is a huge Dante fan, which I think is worthy. I have read a lot about people who despise that movie, but my two best blog friends, Brian and Marc, both like it, which means it is a good conversation starter or killer, like religion and politics. Maybe we should put "Life is Beautiful" in that phrase about never discussing religion and politics from now on.

    And for the record, Marc, my brother writes this angrily about me sometimes too, so no offense. But you are welcome to respond, and I hope you do. My brother likes scifi stuff, which you are also more than welcome to make fun of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. John Lambert, I know who you are. You've mocked me twice on this blog now--I'm keeping tabs. I'm not offended, even though you didn't use the code-phrase "no offense," but I've got some doozies stored up about you that I could pull out should the occasion arise. And it's TALL glasses guy to you.

    As for Life is Beautiful, you should know what you're going to get. If you decide to go with it, you'll probably find it tender and heartwarming; if not, you'll find it vomitous. I don't begrudge you that (except that you should have known it was coming). But it doesn't force an agenda or a point on you the same way Torino and Million Dollar Baby did.

    James, I like you playing the role of awkward mediator. I also like that you liked the Life Aquatic--I didn't so much the first time I watched it, but I really did the second time. I feel pretty strongly that Wes Anderson movies get better the more you watch them, the returns diminishing only after you've seen them 3-5 times. I think a lot of it has to do with not having to worry about the story so much and being able to appreciate the overdeveloped production design.

    And, guilty as charged--I liked Little Miss Sunshine.

    An aside: I used to think that John Turturro didn't make any bad movies, but then I saw a couple of terrible ones. I'm convinced that there is an actor out there who is batting 1.000--maybe Frances McDormand? This is a suggested conversation line. Maybe you should post your candidate, James.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to know your doozies. I cannot be shookened, though, because my world is my world, and I have never been wrong.
    I liked Little Miss Sunshine. Frances McDormand just struck out, maybe for the first time, with Burn After Reading. That was hard for me not to like, because I love the Coens, but it is a fact - it was a bad, pretentious movie disguised as something clever.
    And I don't buy anything about trying to like Life is Beautiful. I can maybe find false tenderness in Two and Half Men, but does that make it a good show? And I was not surprised when I saw it. Based on who the people were, and how they reacted, I knew what was coming. It is the exact reason I have not seen Crash. With Crash, the same people reacted the same way, and because of the lesson learned with Life is Beautiful, I have stayed far away from it.
    And finally, I am guilty for having a soft spot for certain scifi, but we are talking about Blade Runner and Battlestar Galactica, so I am safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gents, I thought John was talking about me--I'm the other glasses guy that turned the thread into a "I like" venue. (I'm Brian Jackson, James's friend from Tucson.)

    Here's what I guess I was trying to say: "de gustibus non est disputandum." There's no arguing about taste. The best kind of media criticism gives good reasons in good prose. I know this. James is spending his youthful years learning how to read Shakespeare critically, i.e., beyond taste. But as much as I like this kind of discourse, I find myself just "liking" crap, as I said. And if I begin to reason it out, I'll sound like I'm emoting--saying "hooray for this!" over and over, sans brain.

    What do y'all think about the Academy's decision to open the best picture noms to 9? I think they've been stung the past couple of years by the "undiscerning" tastes of the hoi polloi who pile in to see Wall-E and ignore Milk. Why was Wall-E not nominated for best picture, by the way?

    ReplyDelete