
I don't know anything about music, which is unfortunate because I know a lot about liking it. But besides some ill-fated piano lessons when I was young and an unsuccessful bid playing the trumpet in middle school, I've got nothing. This is strange because I only know a handful of people that spend more time finding and listening to CDs than I do. And I mean CDs--I do it the old-fashioned way, complete with liner notes and all. But because I know so little about music, I can't be a snob, even though I am, and I can't tell you anything useful, even though I will try to convince you to listen to the stuff I am listening to. Another strange thing about the frightening ratio of love for music to knowledge about it is that I think, like any good Protestant even though I am a Mormon and really don't identify with Protestants as much as I identify with Catholics, that music is the supreme artform. In fact, if there was a race around the bases between innings and the racers weren't ketchup, mustard, and relish but visual art, literary art, and musical art, respectively, I would go with the relish every time. It is just that much more affecting.
This is all to say that I like music a lot, usually of the classical variety, although I suppose I will talk about other music too if I continue to write in this blog consistently. Lately I have been listening to a newish recording of Gershwin's Concerto in F and Rhapsody in Blue by pianist Jon Nakamatsu and the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra. I'd credit Rhapsody in Blue with really taking my interest in classical music to the next step: when I was in fourth grade, and already a fan of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake, Mrs. Case, the mom of a classmate, came to class and played for us the opening carinet trill of Rhapsody in Blue and I was awestruck. I'd never heard anything that suited my tastes better. I went out and bought a tape of some Gershwin pieces played by Arthur Fielder and the Boston Pops, and listened to it for most of fourth grade and did a "Great Person" report on Gershwin in the fifth grade. So Gershwin has always been on my shortlist.
Yet up until two weeks ago, I had never found a recording of the Concerto in F that I really liked, so I bought this CD from a gift certificate I had to a bookstore (it was on discount for five dollars, which is twenty dollars less than its going price on Amazon). The sound is incredibly clear, which is typical for the Harmonia Mundi label but not so typical for other classical music labels, and Nakamatsu nails the piano in the Rhapsody. And who knew about the Rochester Philharmonic? They seem to understand the way the Rhapsody moves. I can't describe it, as I said before, and I have no good reasons for saying what I am saying, but just trust me on this one--this recording is phenomenal. And by the way, I have yet to find a more thrilling piece of music than the third movement of the Concerto in F.
As Luther said, "Music is the handmaiden of theology."
ReplyDeleteIf I was in your elementary school (Cocopah, was it?) I would have beaten you up, or at least told you that you were gay, for listening to classical music. You should have been jamming to Bon Jovi or M.C. Hammer with the rest of us.
ReplyDeleteIt was Cherokee, Pace, and I had a mustache in fifth grade--you would not have even lasted a round with me and my already-hairy armpits. You and your late-developing Barker blood! You guys may be all hot now, but just wait until the Resurrection when we are all restored to our peaks--my fifth grade self would take on your 23 year old self anytime, or whenever your peak was.
ReplyDeleteNot only that, but I would beat you up while humming Ride of the Valkyries. As for the gay thing, you wouldn't be the first to make such an accusation, although those accusations started to come in the sixth grade when all of the fifth graders were jealous of my luck with the ladies, so they started calling me gay. I was STUDENT BODY PRESIDENT at the time so I just made an executive order to silence them. I'm just sayin. And just so you know, you weren't listening to Bon Jovi or MC Hammer in the fifth grade. MC Hammer's "Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em" came out when I was in fifth grade and you were in second or third. And if you listened to him in fifth grade, that means you were listening to Too Legit to Quit, which was super uncool. No offense. As for Bon Jovi, only his solo albums, which included the awful Blaze of Glory, came out when I was in fifth grade--the good stuff was earlier.
Check out Kings of Leon and Noah And The Whale. Don't tell Maureen you're gay.
ReplyDeleteI've listened to Kings of Leon, and my thought, no offense, was to leave 70's rock in the 70s. Maybe I just didn't listen that closely, but I only have so much time on my hands. I don't know anything about Noah and the Whale, other than both of them being parts of the best Old Testament stories. I don't need to tell Maureen I'm gay because I think she has suspected as much for a while. I mean, I was in drama in high school, so any amount of ogling over her daughter doesn't amount to much proof on the contrary.
ReplyDelete