Monday, July 1, 2013

Emoting as a Class: A Weird Publication of My Own, that I Like

I wrote this thing and I think it is good, which is good because I have been thoroughly disappointed with my things lately. But maybe this reflects the fact that my mind has been on teaching much more than writing, which the academy says is muy malo but which I say is muy bueno.

This is a link to the article:
The Pedagogy of Emotion: Feeling Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale

I implore you to read it if you ever want to teach Shakespeare by using student emotional input. Or if you want to see what I consider important for teaching literature. 

2 comments:

  1. I really needed to read that. I have become "that student" who is frustrated trying to find the evidence without the emotion...I think I need to do the opposite, too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really nice to hear, Jenn. I am starting my Renaissance poetry unit tomorrow, and I have noticed that finding the evidence first will help elicit the emotion, which in turn elicits more evidence. At least that is kind of how I teach it. I am glad you are a student--I miss those days: learning is so pleasurable, and taking stock of how you learn is even more so. Somehow, being a student measures up to the greatness of being alive. My students will realize that belatedly, at least here in Kuwait. But it is so true.

      Delete