The word validation conjures
up variations of the same sense: the rich satisfaction that one did something
right. The variations come in the feelings of validation. One could be great
relief that a difficult thing to do paid off, or that a decision was ultimately
correct. Another could be the smugness of self-satisfaction, the cold sneer of
“I told you so.” Anytime a difficult decision is made and carried out, the
possibilities from any of those variations of validation present themselves to
each party.
Our decision to come to Kuwait, I must admit, was not made
in anticipation of validation but rather out of need. I needed a job that would
pay me enough to continue raising the family in the way we wanted to raise them
(with food, schools, activities, music, and health) while hopefully moving my
way out of education debt, the kind that seems miniscule compared to other
doctor and dentist and lawyer friends but also the kind that weighs heavily on
a single-income English professor family. I was not looking for validation as
much as understanding and compassion—validation would be an unintended benefit.
On the other hand, I am constantly seeking validation for my
decision to get a phd in English literature, and truth be told, I have yet to
find it. It is true that I cherish my graduate school years, that I love
teaching, that I think literature, art, and music is so undervalued that we are
in constant danger of denying all that makes us human. It is true that I am
often overcome by powerful waves of emotion as I encounter literature that
opens up worlds of, well, ineffable profundity. It is true that the work of a
critic, er, professor in the classroom, is to allow articulation to approach that
profundity and show its meaning if not its power, and that is noble, almost too
noble to really accomplish (which is why we tend to focus on other things, like
history and cultural studies—power and meaning often scares us into suspicion).
But it is not true that professors are expected to do this with their research.
It is not true that this life allows for the leisure of contemplation—not
leisure at all, but luxury anyway—when there is a constant stream of
administrative bureaucracy and grading papers by underprepared freshman. It is
not true that we spend most of our time reading great works, nor writing about
them, and it is definitely not true that the job of the academic is to write
about value. I try to remedy that, honestly, but I wasn’t trained in the
language. There is no validation in money, or salary—at least that seems to be
the view of most schools, and there is no validation. . . . I am having a hard
time writing this paragraph because, simply put, this job is wonderful and
enriching even as it is limited and not necessarily en-rich-ing.
But Kuwait, this place, is strange. Its foreignness is
mitigated by its extensive expat community, by the tremendous popularity and
success of shopping malls with American stores, by its offering of all kinds of
food. This place does not seem to be
subtle, but I get the sense that most expats feel that way about their adopted
home.
But I have something to say here. Something that might be
thought of as indirect validation. The church—the church I belong to--seems more true here than it does in the States. To
disclaim: I am not saying it is—“seems” is the operable verb, which allows me
to speak subjectively about my own experience of evaluating the truth claims of
the Church, a practice I have been involved with since turning eight. I can
imagine the arguments against me pile up: of course the Church seems more true
there, it is representative of an American institution that you long for! Of
course the Church seems more true there, you are surrounded by unfamiliarity
and it is something recognizable! Of course the Church seems more true there,
you are one of those liberals that blithely loves being part of a minority, and
the Church allows you an especially minority identity! These are all criticisms
I have leveled against myself, but I always lobby back the same arguments:
McDonalds is still gross here, despite its having that familiar taste (it,
unlike the Church, is the same no matter where you go). About the minority
criticism, that is one that my astute wife has offered, and I can’t deny its
pull, but being a minority religion in the States is much more fun that being
in one here, especially because you can do in the States what would be the
greatest appeal for me: talk about your minority status.
Third of all, fellowshipping here means something other than
a word of commandment. Fellowship is a description here rather than a duty.
That kind of fellowship makes Sunday, or Friday, worship feel like reprieve.
New people keep appearing at church, and they all seem to say the same thing:
“thank you, I feel good here.” There is a lot to be said for that.
Fourth of all, those people that show up every week? They
often get baptized. I have witnessed two convert baptisms (there have been more
than that, though) since moving to Kuwait and there is a vitality to them, like
a Pentacostal demonstration of good vibes. I won’t go into where that brings me
emotionally, but let’s just say it is a tremendous peace.
The fifth, and last for now, reason the church seems truer
here is the congregation of people. They, and we, believe together and worship
together and take care of each other despite the disadvantages of a labor
market and social inequality that is clearly evil in design, even as those who
navigate near its bottom end retain hope and work way too hard within it. The
stories of how people here become trapped in work that underpays, undervalues,
and abuses them are devastating, and I actually end up praying a lot about it
and often pray that the States does not continue to move down this same path of
labor. On the other hand, the stories of how people found the church are
remarkable—miracles, really—and I have seen a few miracles myself. You see, the
church is under the radar here, so many people from around the world come
without the slightest idea if there are other members, let alone worship
services. Sometimes it is a South African member seeing a random Philipino
carrying around a Book of Mormon and asking where he got it. Sometimes it is an
overheard conversation on a bus, but the way many of us find the church—our
home—is always miraculous in content.
How does one end a post like this? A common testimonial
ending seems inappropriate, even if I am writing this on “fast” Friday. Maybe I
should end it by saying that I have never been more proud to be a Mormon than I
am right now, which is ironic considering we have just been through an election
that has dragged my precious identity around as if it were Hector, which seems
like an appropriate analogy at the moment (even when I wanted to do some
dragging myself when I heard some of the awful, offensive, and small-minded
comments directed towards me by my own hermanos y hermanas in the church during
the election season). But my identity is not the only thing at stake in my
current love for my church—it is also my capacity for belief and worship and reverence.
Not only am I a Mormon, I believe in Mormonism, and that conviction is
currently Kuwaiti in nature. If that is not validation, I don’t know what is.
Beautiful post, James. To this day I do not understand what "Mormon culture" means. I don't think it exists. When people describe it to me, it sounds like a white, Intermountain West version of the gospel. Which is fine as versions go, but it is only a version.
ReplyDeleteJames,
ReplyDeleteI like your thoughts, thanks for sharing. I want to know what your rankings of church trueness are, including Mexico, Arizona, BYU wards, Iowa, etc. There ought to be an AP poll for that.
Harlem is the truest on my list. I like what you said about the practice of fellowship, that was certainly true there. For me what did it was that it felt like everyone there was striving--at all kinds of different levels and in lots of different ways, but striving to be better.
I like that hypothetical AP poll a lot. Sounds like the next conversation we have when we hopefully hang out next summer. By the way, are we supposed to call a truce when the Lakers have Nash, D'Antoni, and they stink? I don't know what to think about anything anymore.
ReplyDelete