The Iowa Graduate College Newsletter just came out, and it includes a very short article about my decision to move to the Middle East. I don't know how to link to it (I think it is only in hard copy), so I thought I would do all three of you a huge favor by posting the whole interview that took place for the piece. It is long, but it gets out most of my early thoughts and impressions.
1) What does it mean to you to land a
faculty position in the humanities? I know these jobs are not easy to come by.
Well, I am 33 years old, I have three kids, and I believe
that I am well-adjusted and relatively competent. I was going to be done with
grad school, which had held me in its thrall for the last several years. There
comes a point in a person’s life where he needs to feel like a professional. I
had done graduate school under the tutelage of some very wonderful professors
and advisors, and I had taught many different college courses and done my own
research and so on, and I felt I was ready to be part of a faculty rather than
a subordinate in the strange hierarchy of academia. As I was applying for and
hearing back from different schools, I was feeling undervalued, as so many of
us do. When I received some postdoc offers for pittance, I had to humbly accept
that maybe I was not as much a professional as I thought. There were a few full-time
jobs that wanted interviews and such but those usually didn’t pan out, or if
they did I was being offered too little to support my growing family, and the
offer from a school to teach a 4-4 load for a 21,000 dollar salary was the last
straw. I decided I was going to accept the job that would treat me as a
professional so I could consider myself one too. Throughout the interview
process, only three schools, one being American University of Kuwait, treated
me like potential faculty rather than someone who could teach their “lowly”
writing classes so they didn’t have to, and that was important to me. Of those
three schools, American University of Kuwait made the best offer. By the way, I
am teaching some writing classes here at AUK, but those courses aren’t treated
like they ought to be taught be adjuncts, postdocs, and grad students.
So, to answer your first question, to me, landing a faculty
position meant I was going to be treated with the kind of respect I think we
earn by achieving a doctorate and excelling in grad school. That means I am
going to treat myself with that kind of respect, which is good for my work
ethic, my writing voice, and my teaching persona, among other things. Maybe I
was just tired of not being invited to faculty meetings, which has now quickly
turned into being tired of going to faculty meetings.
2) Is there a story behind landing at the
American University of Kuwait?
It is true that these jobs are not easy to come by, but if
you are willing to go overseas and do some time helping out an international
university, your options increase. From what I can tell, the schools here
really need solid faculty from the States, and they pay relatively well. So
there are some options for landing these if you start to market yourself
outside the States.
3) What are your early impressions of your
time in Kuwait academically and socially? Any good stories that the UI folks
would enjoy?
There are many good stories, but I don’t want to betray my
students or the university, so perhaps I’ll just mention that placing an
American-style institution, when it is not an oil business, in a context that
is wholly unique from the United States is going to be tricky. Things, like
laws, education, and tardiness, work differently here, and you can feel that
immediately. A delightful story: everyone calls me Doctor James or Professor
James. That is the standard—title and first name. I enjoy it. I feel like I
should address everyone in Amish, Brother Jebediah or Brother Ahmed or something.
I imagine that wouldn’t go over well here. Another anecdote: the parking lot of
the university is filled with incredibly nice cars—Ferraris, Lamborghinis,
Prados, and then the “lesser” makes like Mercedes and Lexus. It is amazing. On
the second day of classes, I had a student—Abdullah, a wonderful student—who
ran in about five minutes late and apologized profusely that he was late. He
just crashed his Lexus, he had told me, but could only stay out with the person
who ran into him for a few minutes because he had to get to class. I asked him
what he was going to do, and he said that he would just buy a new one.
Actually, this story is a bit misleading. This is the only
student I have who cared that he was coming in late.
Intellectually, Kuwait is ready, and has been ready, for an
influx of great institutions of higher education. Some of the faculty here
mention that most of our students (we cater to the wealthy class, as most
universities here do, at the moment) are guaranteed good jobs out of college—it
is really part of being a Kuwaiti citizen, and some say that this fact makes
the students unmotivated and disengaged. I have, however, observed the exact
opposite, at least in the humanities classes. I have noticed that because there
is not a job market at stake, my students can approach learning for learning’s
sake, which is the function of a liberal arts education in the first
place. They don’t have to ask why they
are learning what they are learning because they already know it is not going
to get them a job—they can just enjoy the process of education. That has made
some my classes, particularly the literature classes, very satisfying.
Frankly, the social life here is wholly dependent on a solid
expat community. From my limited vantage point, Kuwaitis don’t necessarily
integrate much with expats, whether they are South Asian, Australian, British,
or American, unless those expats are teachers or nannies or restaurant owners.
So it has been crucial to find a good community of expats to start out here.
Since we are Mormons, we have had that group to identify with, which has made
all the difference. Built-in friends, whether from a church, academic
community, work, kids’ school, or apartment building is pretty important. And,
of course, our family has each other.
4) What have you learned about yourself and
the world from your time in the Middle East?
Don’t know that I have learned a whole lot about myself yet.
I am just trying to hold on. I like Shawrma. I guess I learned that. Oh, and
just because Mountain Dew is good in the States doesn’t mean it is good in the
Middle East. Learned that, too.
5) Explain the significance of receiving the
Ballard Seashore Fellowship?
Winning the Ballard Seashore Fellowship was important, but I
never thought about it as something I “won.” I thought about it as something
that the graduate college gave me in order to make me finish my diss. So I
finished. But even that wasn’t what I really used it for. The thing is, I love
to teach and I would have been happy teaching my last semesters at Iowa, but I
had never had a year in which I didn’t teach and I wanted to see how much work
I could get done if I didn’t have to teach. Turns out that the job market took
up most of that working time. With all due respect to those who bear the name
Ballard and Seashore, the fellowship should be called the “Focus on the job
market” fellowship, because that is what I did. And of course, writing my diss
became a reprieve of sorts. So, to sum up, “winning” the Ballard Seashore was
like winning the right to work 20 hours a week on job applications and
materials, and 20 hours a week on writing and researching. And the rest of the
time on actually raising my kids.
6) How did you learn from being an Obermann
Fellow?
Being an Obermann Fellow, and actually following up by
teaching one of my courses based on a service learning plan I created during
the fellowship actually opened the most doors for me than other aspect of my
CV. Perhaps that suggests that I wasn’t as strong in other areas, like
research, but I have had to convince myself that it is because the service
learning is the thing that sets me apart and that many universities are looking
for. I am still a bit skeptical about the idea of service learning and civic
engagement, but just the fact that I am aware of that aspect of teaching and
that I am willing to try it out was important to four of my interviews. I got
asked more about the class I taught in conjunction with the Iowa Children’s
Museum more than any other course or even research project I had. That all came
from the execution of ideas from the Obermann Fellowship. When American
University of Kuwait did their initial interview, they asked a lot about how I
could implement something like that in Kuwait.
7) How did being a TA prepare you for your
current faculty position?
As for being a TA, it is currently all we’ve got as job
candidates in the humanities. We need to face some facts: for the most part, we
are not going to get the premier R1 jobs out of Iowa, we just aren’t, at least
initially. We are better candidates at smaller teaching schools. The faculty,
by and large, has not really understood that this is the case, and it has been
the case for a few years. Being a TA (really a full teacher—the title of TA
does everyone a disservice who organizes, prepares, and teaches their classes.
The title works as a classification of employee—and salary—rather than a
description of what we actually do) is, for most of us, our biggest strength to
these teaching schools. That’s just the way it is for almost all of us. For me,
being a TA meant that I could arrive in Kuwait one week before classes start,
have no idea what I am teaching or what my books were, and start teaching with
a full syllabus, plan, text, and confidence. That, to me, is the most amazing
part of University of Iowa’s training, and the faculty and administration don’t
realize that, I think.
8) In 1-2 paragraphs, describe your
dissertation and its importance to the general public?
My dissertation’s importance to the general public. It is
self-explanatory once I give the title. Isn’t that the case with everyone’s?
No, not really. My dissertation examines the expression of religious joy in
Renaissance England, and in so doing it tells the story of how the act of
rejoicing through hymns, psalms, poetry, and private spiritual writing formed a
new kind of expression, one that combined the ineffable sense of the sacred
with a controlled loyalty to the state church. In essence, I try to show most
of the unique literary expressions of joy that came from the growth of
Protestant poetics. Doesn’t that sound like it affects the general public?
Actually, focusing on joy in a dissertation is a relatively radical thing to
do, and the dissertation itself offers a method for finding authentic joy in
religious discourse, a practice that is often overlooked in academia and in
religious communities as well. Looking for joy is always good—we don’t have to
be surprised by joy to find it, we just have to be generous enough to allow it
to appear, to allow it to be authentic. My sense is that expressions of
rejoicing in Renaissance England teach us where joy is to be found, and I try to
get that across.
I don't think you were counting me as one of your loyal readers. So thanks for doing four of us a favor by posting the entire thing. I liked reading it. AUK is lucky to have you. Happy Christmas!
ReplyDeleteSunny, let me just say that reading your blog this morning was so painful. Oh, how I miss the middle west. I want to move to Minnesota, so tell Marc to start working his connections. If it comes down to it, I'll teach high school with him, or middle school, or whatever. I just want to see snow trash again instead of sand trash.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading this James, even though I wasn't the intended audience. It makes me imagine you and Kathryn living the real life version of "Crossing to Safety", the version that takes the main characters to Kuwait. I love that book.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on being honored with the fellowship, and for finishing your dissertation. Ever think about North Carolina after Kuwait? We sure do have a decent amount of colleges and universities. Quite a few professors in our ward work at Elon University, they seem to like us Mormons.
Sometimes people treat "writing" like it's a field of knowledge that can somehow be divorced from thinking or analyzing or reasoning. I don't know how to teach "writing" except to get students reading books and then thinking and writing about them. Our external review recently told us that we were focusing too much on literature and culture and not enough on "writing"-- but I really don't know what that means, since to me those are all part of the same process. Bravo to you for treating writing like the serious topic that it is.
ReplyDelete