Re: Vampires
Three documents remained open,
waiting to be filled with whatever proper nouns emerged from his digital
pen. All three were different formats—a response email, a fill-in PDF, and an
already-formatted Excel spreadsheet—and all beckoned with an urgency equal to a
black elevated pickup passing on the left: no real benefit gained but in the
quick and the done.
Yesterday
he had been reading American Gods in
his office with the door closed and the blinds shut. That he had only been
reading seemed an unearned luxury, and he had a drawer open just in case
someone knocked on his door and he had to discard the novel quickly. He had
been periodically moving the mouse on his computer to keep its screen from
going black, but it went black anyway seventeen pages in. He wouldn’t have
noticed the cars honking outside if not for the midlevel honk, probably of a
black pickup truck, sustained so long that it would have been met with applause
in a jazz club. Or at least that is what he thought—he hadn’t been to a jazz
club since high school, when he mistook an entrance into a jazz club for a free
concert, but enjoyed the club anyway for its similarity to the way he had seen
it in the movies.
The computer screen eventually blackened, the
honk eventually ended, and he was still just reading his book. The office was
quiet and the world was calm. For minutes, maybe twenty, he read. Within the
next six minutes, he heard three slight high-pitched chimes, notifications of
email on his desktop. He stopped reading and directed his attention to the
black screen, lured by the three siren calls.
After
reanimating the screen by petting the mouse, his eyes did not dilate nor
brighten, and he reluctantly encountered the following:
Dear Dr. Morris,
I hereby approve the cost
associated with your attendance to the SIC conference in UAE with the
understanding that all documents be submitted to IR with the secretary of DTH
copied. Irrespective of attendees, please fill out the attached form in order
for BLD to take into account the remaining funds in your SOL.
Also, it is imperative that you
answer present email with your official acceptance of all liability.
Regards,
Dr. Renfield.
He opened the form and left it up while he opened the next
email:
To Whom It May Concern,
The Excel spreadsheet, attached,
must be returned, full, no later than October 30, 2014, in order to process all
approvals regarding activities and luncheons within the current fiscal year.
Regards,
Ms. Westenra
He opened the Excel spreadsheet, left it on his desktop, and
looked to his third email:
Dr. professor quincey,
sorry to write you now my mom had
to be sick today and you were not in your office when I came and I have a few
questions! It is just that I could not
attend and I have five lectures but my mom is sick and I was on vacation until
Sunday because I don’t have classes except yours on that day. I need to give my
presentation on thursday so what can I do dr. ???? I have five lectures so I
can’t do so many presentations on that day
Sent from my iPhone
The three
documents are still open, even if they are behind a screen gone black, a
digital curtain of inactivity, not reflecting anything anymore, let alone his
own pale form, hunched, pocked, and dead. Someone will reanimate the mouse
eventually, some sort of unnatural light will give angles to the room again,
and some mischief might be deduced. No mischief happened here, though, no
mischief at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment