I entered the Christmas season reading Michael Lewis’s The Big Short, an explanation of the
2008 financial crash on Wall Street. The book is a big reminder that most
people don’t know what they are doing primarily because they believe that the
world is found in the limited scope of their perspective, but they are looking
at shadows. In other words, The Big Short
is a financial recapitulation of Plato’s cave, only if that cave were peopled by heartless financiers whose inability to see beyond their own shadows had implications far beyond the cave and into the world where the rest of humanity lives. Lewis’s book might have been titled The Big Shortsightedness.
I start my Christmas letter with this example because it
best encapsulates the world of both a young family in their tenth year of parenting, and an expat in his second year expatriating. Our family
went from the wide-eyed wonder of a world wholly foreign to us in one year to a
confidence that comes from quick judgments and sweeping generalizations. But then we learn that still don’t know what we are doing, and we wonder often what the
implications are of knowing nothing. Our knowledge of Kuwait is certainly
greater than it was last year, and our knowledge of the world perhaps wider,
but about all we can say about that still is that knowledge is great and the
world is wide.
Parenting is the obvious analogue here. We parented a lot in
2013—I am afraid not very well, but I don’t really know—and constantly were
upbraided by reminders that we have no idea what we are doing. I speak for
myself here, but I am pretty sure our cluelessness is a joint enterprise.
We also spent money in 2013, perhaps on things that were not
worth it and on others that maybe were.
The tickets and gas for trips were often worth it, the shoes also,
although the shirts not so much, and the food came out 50/50. For every perfect
20 dollar shawerma meal there is an unnecessary trip to Starbucks for hot
chocolate and stale muffins. At any rate, we spent money and we don’t really
know what we are doing.
We worked in 2013 in many places—at home, at church, at
play. The first one is probably the most taxing. The second is fairly
rewarding. The third causes the most stress. Here’s a story about work: a
colleague of mine mentioned that her students told her that “Professor James
said he would be available for conferencing during the break, and just to email
him and he would meet us at his office.” The colleague looked dumbfounded and
told me I was crazy. I then reminded her that I have three kids at home. There
are places where we know what we are doing more than others, and meeting
students about their Milton papers is much easier than dealing with Calvin’s
restlessness, Henry’s anxiousness, and Maria’s inquisitiveness, simultaneous
and constant. Because doing one of those things at least makes it look like I
know what I am doing.
The point of all of this is that in 2013 we realized a
little bit more that we know less about so little. And that is all a natural
part of the mid-30s experience, I am told. As it goes with knowledge so it goes
with time. The more you have behind you, the more it disappears beside and
before you, and the less you understand how it works.
At Christmas, certainly holier when the culture surrounding
you doesn’t besmirch it with relentless commercialism, it is nice to realize
that we know so little, mainly because that forces to hang on to those things
we don’t need to know so much about: feelings and emotions. We feel Christmas
in a place that doesn’t force it on us, and we feel love for our kids even
though we know so little about them, and we feel gratitude to our friends even
though articulating that gratitude too often seems trite and cloying. Finally,
we feel the good things that come with Christmas because we sense, without
knowing, that it is sacred, meaningful, and encompassing. Sometimes a feeling,
after all we know we don’t know, is enough.
Happy Christmas to you, too, James. You make not knowing appealingly philosophical and poetic, that's a great holiday gift.
ReplyDeleteYou are such a great writer, James!!
ReplyDeleteStumbled onto this just now as I was fiddling around on my 'Blogger' dashboard. Great post.
ReplyDelete