The Suns lost last night and looked pretty bad, although the resolution of the streaming video I was watching it on was so bad that I can't be too sure. But to turn my frown upside down, I plan to write one or more reviews. Here are the movies, books, and CDs to choose from. I will leave the vote up to my faithful reader, so whoever comments first will get the review of their choice.
Films:
Ponyo
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Up in the Air
The Time Traverler's Wife
Frontline: The Health Care Passage
Hot Tub Time Machine
The Brothers Bloom
Where the Wild Things Are
Books:
Stumbling Upon Happiness
No Country for Old Men
Coraline
The Daughter of Time
Music:
Phoenix, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Jonsi and Alex, Riceboy Sleeps
The Avett Brothers, I and Love and You
Bon Iver, For Emma
Fleet Foxes
Peter Gabriel, Scratch My Back
The Swell Season, Strict Joy
Bach (The Hilliard Ensemble), Morimur
Smetana, Ma Vlast
Golijov, La Pasion Segun San Marcos
I could also review things like:
Restaurants:
Xoco
Potbelly
Chipotle
America's Dog
Panera
Garcia's
Technology:
Flash Drives
Computers
Ipods
Illegal Streaming Sports Sites
Water Bottles
Kids:
Maria
Henry
Calvin
The two girls that sit by Henry in primary
TV shows:
Last three episodes of Lost (the only ones I have ever seen)
Channel 9 local news
University of BBQ
American Idol
Weekends:
Last weekend
The weekend before that
The one when we went to Milwaukee to help the Rothlisbergers move
Ok, the contest starts now. Go!
The weekend before that
ReplyDeleteLast three episodes of Lost
The two girls that sit by Henry in Primary
Water bottles
Xoco (include pronunciation, please)
Smetana, Ma Vlast
Coraline
Where the Wild Things Are
Ha, some good choices, those. I don't know if I have the time to do all of them, but your request that I review the two girls that sit by Henry will hit close to home, since one of them is your beautiful daughter. Apparently, Valerie and Amelia (sp?) had a small spat once about who gets to sit next to Henry until it was finally decided that he would sit in the middle. Of course, when this was related to me, I beamed with the kind of fatherly pride that can only come watching a four-year-old son be a hit with such lovely four-year-old girls. Last week, on the way home from church, Henry exclaimed that "the girl who has Alice as a sister" is his friend. He said that she was nice and funny. I just worry that as soon as Valerie and Amelia are privy to one of Henry's absolute breakdowns that can occur at the slightest provocation, they will no longer want to sit by him. I hope that they won't be witnesses to it so Henry won't ruin his chances like his dad used to on a regular basis.
ReplyDeleteFor the time being, though, my worries about Henry's social abilities and charm are assuaged at least a little knowing that there are at least two kids his age that find him nice to sit by.
As for the other things, I can probably review them, and I'll attempt to some tonight.
Blast!
ReplyDeleteHere is my take on those things above with which I have some experience:
ReplyDeleteThe Time Traveler's Wife - The only good thing I can say about this movie is that I'm glad I watched it on a plane. This is a good example of why Eric Bana will never be an elite actor. I can't remember all my negative remarks about this movie but I had some awesome ones when Val and I finished watching it.
Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix - A nice, well-rounded, complete album. Poppy and fun but also some serious songs so as to not give the listener pop fatigue.
Fleet Foxes - I like it but I know that Crato thinks it's too sentimental and pretty so in the back of my mind I am never able to fully embrace it.
Potbelly - When I'm only paying $4.50 or so for a delicious sandwich, I never have a hard time justifying the $0.99 for a scrumptious chocolate chip oatmeal cookie.
Chipotle - It's fine.
Panera - It's fine.
Garcia's - When Marilyn's had the dominant stretch in the 80's and 90's of being the best mexican american restaurant in phoenix, I bet Garcia's felt snubbed when Marilyn's went under for its drug ring operation and Ajo Al's stepped in and snagged the up-for-grabs title before Garcia's could.
Last 3 episodes of Lost - I'm back on board (after skipping seasons 4 and 5) and fully committed to this final season. I'm coming to terms with the transformation the show has made from season 1 and I appreciate the time travel, electromagnetism, quantum phsyics aspect of it all. I think that when TV has the common folks discussing and researching complex science it's a good thing.
Pace,
ReplyDeleteYour reviews are eerily close to mine, although I would give more credit to Chipotle in all its mass market glory. I also need to say more about Garcia's. Good reviews on all of them though. The one I agree with most is Phoenix.
Oh, and my review of Panera will be negative.
ReplyDeleteYeah I wasn't sure what to say about Panera. I don't have much of an opinion there because I've only been once or twice. I haven't had any real complaints except that I know I would get sick of the food there very fast.
ReplyDeleteChipotle is not as prevalent out here so I don't go as often as I used to and I can't say that I miss it all that much. Although last time I went I tried sprinkling some of that Corona bottle rock salt on my burrito bol and it was quite a pleasant experience. It's definitely better than Panera though.
Do they have Chop't (a salad place) where you are? It's super trendy but I unabashedly patronize it anyways. I also kind of like it because I'm in the middle of trying to decide what it means to eat meat "sparingly." You should write a review of the word of wisdom if you ever feel so inclined.
Also (and I'm sorry if this discussion does not belong here), have you ever read 'Angle of Repose'? I'm willing to bet you have. I recently finished it and thought it was great. Val and I argued over who was more to blame in their marriage but in the end we all know that wasn't the point of the book (I side with Oliver by the way). It was good for me to read it now that I am smack in the middle of city-living. Anyways, the reason I bring it up is because it reminded me of when you were researching your ancestral history as part of some BYU project (and I think our 'Trains Go East' duet might have even been a corollary to that project). I was curious if that book resonated super strongly with you or just kind of strongly or not at all.
Here are some quick answers:
ReplyDeleteNo, they don't have Chopt, but they got it in Tucson and Kathryn and I went once. She loved it, and I got mad that they charged too much, which is the typical Lambert response.
Chipotle buys free range meat, and the meat tastes free ranged, which means it is really good. I actually try to hate Chipotle, but I can't because the food is so fresh and so clean-clean.
I should write a Word of Wisdom thing, especially because I think it is the most misinterpreted commandment out there, even by me.
Panera is overpriced garbage, but Kathryn likes it.
Angle of Repose is my #1 recommendation to Morms from the West because it is so well-written and it gives you a perspective on the West that is sorely lacking in much of the mythology. I think arguing over who is to blame in the marriage is actually pretty productive, but I think you are a misogynist for siding with Oliver. You should be more sensitive to the ladies, especially considering the historical reality of the movement west, the fear of "enclosure," and a man's propensity to stay within their emotional and spiritual comfort zone. Reading Stegner's stuff will make your life better. By the way, the history professor, who was a misogynist jerk as well, has one of the most beautiful epiphanies at the end of that book, and careful reading yields the sympathy that the book has for western women.
Everytime I drive through a small mountain mining town, I think of the scene in Angle of Repose where she is in that house, trying to make a home out of it. It gives me the chills. Maybe I'll read it again. If you liked that book, though, you should read the incomparable "Housekeeping" by Marilynne Robinson.
You should also read some Wendell Berry, who was Stegner's student at Stanford. Start with Jayber Crow.
ReplyDelete