Thursday, February 18, 2010

Slim Sade

Tis typical that my last entry had to do with desire to consume obscure art and think about esoteric topics, and now I am going to attempt to quickly review Sade's new album, which was surprisingly numero uno on the Billboard chart and sold over a half million copies in its first week. Not only am I gonna review it, I am going to discuss this strange popularity. Not only that, but I am going to follow up that brief review with a review of Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now," the supposed country album that was the numero uno Billboard topper last week. See, I told you I went mainstream.

Here is the thing with Sade. I have an irrational fondness for her music even when I recognize its limitations, and there are many to recognize. If you ever listen to one of her albums (and the three last three are all the best as far as I am concerned), you will also quickly notice her limitations. I am using "her" even though Sade is really a band, but Sade Adu is the singer and face of the band, so let's treat her as the sole author and creator, kind of like Will Shakespeare. But Will Shakespeare has no limitations, and Sade has many. Her voice is limited, her lyrics treat heartbreak and comfort in romantic love, and really nothing else; her songs never stray from a consistent beat and a one-octave melodic variation; her instruments typically consist of a rhythm guitar, some piano, bass, and drums. But that is just the thing:

A good poet will use the form in which she is working. That is, if you are going to write a sonnet, the point of the sonnet is what you can do within its form--subtle changes of meter, effect, tone, and so on makes the poem interesting. Anyone can blow up a form, shock, defy, but few can express something original within the limits that form provides. But I'm not even going to talk about doing something original with form. Rather, what I am impressed with is getting the form just right--finding the formula and proving it without fizzures or seams. That, to me, is why Sade is such a pleasure to listen to: she has her style, and she's had it for 25 years, and she continues to work in that style, occasionally tweaking it here and there but never disrespecting her form nor trying to move beyond it. To Sade, it is enough to do one thing in this world and do it well. That is why I buy her albums. I also buy them because they remind me of radio stations that don't exist anymore, like kjazz 95.5 in Phoenix.

Let me add that there is a slight little sax solo in one of the tracks called "In Another Time" on her new album makes saxophones into a good instrument again. Memories from sitting by the saxophone section in middle school have scarred my taste ever since, so I am always happy when I hear something that helps justify the saxophone's existence.

So I bought the Sade album, and it made me feel more romantic than I normally feel. In turn, I went out and bought Kathryn a CD for Valentine's Day in that romantic mood. Buying CDs for Kathryn is risky business--the last one I got for her that she liked was a Sarah McLachlan album for Valentine's Day in 2004. Making her CDs is a skill I am particularly good at, buying her CDs is not a skill, and I am bad at it anyway. But I heard a song while I was being drained of plasma a few weeks ago, and my immediate thought was "Hey, I bet Kathryn would like this," so I learned more about the CD, previewed it on itunes, and then went and bought it. The song was "Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum, a country group that is not really country. They are more like soft-rockers who believe in America and God, so they are called country. The song is certainly catchy, and the voices were nice, and Kathryn likes songs with a solid pop hook. So do I, for that matter. There is something wonderful about a great pop song, and I still admire "Since U Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson every time I hear it. Same goes for "I Want it That Way" by the Backstreet Boys.

Here is my review of Lady Antebellum's Need You Now: it is not very good, but it has two or three catchy hooks, and it doesn't have any over-the-top annoying songs. That is a good thing, and it appears as though Kathryn likes it. The album has lame lyrics with the exception of the title track, and it has one of the most horrible album covers ever, and it sounds an awful lot like songs from a high school mix from a girl who liked Garth Brooks and Del Amitri. In fact, now that I think about it, the album could have been released in 1996 and it would sound exactly the same, with the same hits, the same cover, the same lyrics. But I shouldn't contradict myself--I just finished praising Sade for not changing her style in 25 years (although Sade's albums, which are 8 to 10 years apart, are always like Corn Flakes, it feels good tasting them again for the first time)--so Lady Antebellum's 90s country crossover sound is fine I guess. So if you are a girl who liked Garth Brooks and Del Amitri, or if you are Kathryn's mom or a man or woman who listens to country music and likes the Taylor Swift stuff, you should buy this album. Although I admit all the romance of Sade was stripped away when I heard Lady Antebellum, but maybe that is a good thing. I get the feeling that a romantic James is about as intolerable as a joking Kobe Bryant.

6 comments:

  1. I am writing this from James's account, but this is actually Kathryn. You know what I don't like, that James gets me this CD I know nothing about and tells me to just wait and give it a try. So I don't say anything and I listen. He has turned it on every time we have listened to the CD except for one time. And the CD is okay, the one song is good. And then he goes and writes this review and criticizes it and says I like it. Is it wrong to get offended about this? Am I reading more into this review than he is meaning or saying. I don;t know. But thank you love for introducing me to a new group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm...James, I don't know either of these groups so I can't comment on them. I'm curious, though, about the slight diss that you threw towards non-formalist poets. While it may be true that anyone can "blow up" forms, it is probably also true that anyone with a basic understanding of the sonnet form can produce one of those as well. I wrote my first one in, like, seventh grade. The difference is in doing it well...no? Whitman blew up form, but the reason why we still read him isn't because he did this, its because he had something to say about the value of the human individual and collective humanity worth listening to and remembering. That, and the fact that he is sexy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I guess I would say that any "blowing up" of forms after Whitman is an afterthought. But my point is that a sonnet may be easy to write, but a good sonnet is dern near impossible, whether it uses the fourteen line Spenserian, Shakespearean, or Yourmamaian style. But I do not want to praise Sade for necessarily doing something exceptional. She writes sonnets and never breaks the form, but somehow those sonnets remain satisfying and beautiful, even if they're not terribly interesting. Does that make more sense? I don't want to overpraise Sade, I guess. I just want to properly praise her.

    After Whitman, the norm is to defy forms. Well, as much as I like Whitman, and I do, I curse his good name for inspiring a lot of lousy American poets. I mean, while you were writing sonnets in the seventh grade, I am sure the goth dude next to you was writing crap poetry like:

    I am everything
    You are killing me but I
    Am everything to
    Me and to everyone

    At least the goth guy who sat next to me in seventh grade was writing that, and if that crap is not Whitman-inspired, I don't know what is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your corn flakes analogy was completely lost on me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pace,

    There used to be a commercial a few years ago whose tag line was "Corn flakes--taste them again for the first time." Well, I did that because I hadn't tasted them for a long time except in funeral potatoes, and I was amazed and how fresh and bright they tasted, even though their taste might be the most recognizable taste in all cereals, with the exception of Cheerios. So, their tag line was right.

    I have been using it ever since. I usually use the analogy when I tell people to read Hamlet or watch Hoosiers. Does that make sense? Sade's albums are like corn flakes because you know how they go and you can expect what they are like, but when you put them on, they are so much better than you remember even though they are doing the same thing they always did. Radiohead has that same effect, as does Pink Floyd.

    ReplyDelete