Sunday, August 16, 2009

My friend Marc knows

This post is from my friend Marc Wilson. He is a middle school teacher in New York City, which is weird because usually people like him stop being teachers in order to become investment bankers or hospital administrators, but he nobly keeps at it. They (my friends in Hollywood) are currently developing a movie about him called "Dangerous Minds: The Freedom Writers Refuse To Stand and Deliver." He and his wife Sunny and his kid Harper come to visit us once during the summer, and that visit always wins #1 when I compile my year-end "Best of" list for cool events. Read this and comment, and you will be blessed.


I teach 8th-grade English, and one of my main lessons to my students is to consider their audience when they write. This is a dumb lesson, because their audience is always the same: me. I am now considering my audience when writing. As best I can tell, my audience here on James’s blog is James, his graduate school friends, and his firecracker brother. So I would like to write about a topic near and dear to most of you: the life of an academic. This is a topic I should not know that much about, but I feel like I’ve been exposed to a lot of it.

I just finished reading The Corrections, by Jonathan Franzen. It was intelligent, engaging, insightful, and entertaining. The back of the book should have said things like that. Instead Pat Conroy said this: “With this dazzling work, Franzen gives notice that from now on, he is only going to hunt with the big cats.” This is possibly the most annoying blurb quote I’ve ever read. But it does kind of feel like Franzen is shooting for (or with … or whatever) “big cats” in this book. I received this book from friends who will likely read this post, so I want to assure them that I enjoyed this book very much, but at the same time I found it really annoying.

The scope of the book is ambitious: It intends to map out the various dysfunctions of a grown-up family. Franzen exposes and assaults a variety of postmodern ills and traumas as they turn up in the lives of parents, children, and grandchildren in the story. For dragging us through this, he offers a small redemptive package at the end. Franzen brings us through this all in insightful and entertaining fashion, but the wit and ambition of the author were too palpable. I could see his smug jacket photo at the turn of every clever phrase, pleased with himself at his cunning humor and brilliant social acumen. This feels pretty picky—shouldn’t I be satisfied if I’m entertained and enlightened? Probably.

My other complaint is that this book is guilty of dwelling largely on the life of an academic. An alarming number of books that I have read in the past few years have done this. I’m sure I’m not the first to notice this glut, but it’s getting annoying. Tortilla Curtain (this is a bit of a stretch, but it’s such an annoying book overall I had to include it), Herzog, White Noise, Possession, Crossing to Safety (actually I don’t know about this one, I couldn’t handle the self-satisfied life he was conjuring and I had to drop it), and Norwegian Wood all reveal far more than I ever need to know about the insecurities, arrogance, sexual frustrations, existential anxiety, acute postmodern (I’ve used that word twice now, still not completely sure what it means) torments, and hypocritical regrets of middle-aged white men who spend their lives studying. I did genuinely like most of these books when I read them, but I am tiring of them. There are simply too many books like this that seem self-serving in the community of contemporary (I realize I’m stretching the use of that word here) fiction writers.

I’ll offer up some authors and books that can serve as a counterpoint to this, with writers that flex their theoretical/philosophical muscles to illuminate something less tedious. Tim O’Brien’s treatment of the Vietnam War and its continuing effects on individuals and our society is phenomenal. Kazuo Ishiguro encases brilliant and lyrical thoughts about memory and conscience in alarmingly taut stories with varied settings. Cormac McCarthy’s All the Pretty Horses writes with scholarly intelligence and forces us to rethink the American West and the border. Colson Whitehead’s John Henry Days employs a freeloading journalist to comment on race and question common values. E. Annie Proulx’s Shipping News uses a quirky village to explore perspective.

In high school and probably college, too, I held on—as all earnest melodramatic white males with inclinations toward the humanities do—to the dream of becoming a writer. The advice I found about writing is that you should always “write what you know.” This is perhaps good advice for grounding dreamy young men, but it doesn’t make for a very interesting body of literature. Since it is my duty to solve this problem, here is my solution. Two things need to happen: 1) educate the scholarly class about something other than their own anxieties, and 2) give people who are not angst-ridden white males (over-generalizing here) the tools to become credible and insightful writers.

12 comments:

  1. Woohoo!
    I am a firecracker. Like a dog behind a fence is a firecracker. Meet me in person and I will act like I am interested in your life while at the same time thinking to myself, "I killed you on the net, and I'll do it again".
    Actually, I won't do that. I will just try and steal you like I try to steal all of Joh-ameses friends, like I have tried to steal Bluth, Crato, and others, to little success. They all like my wife more anyway. And...scene.
    Hopefully that is my mild foray into the angst-ridden life of this white male. Notice the attempt at being clever, as well as the admission that I am not tough in person?
    Will that make me a good writer?
    I have not read THE CORRECTIONS, but I have meant to. I bought it for the lady several years ago while living in LA. The night I bought it was highlighted by a chance encounter with Tom Arnold and his girlfriend at Houstons. This was my wife's only celebrity-sighting in four years of LA residency and she is still bitter about it.
    We move to Utah and I still see them, like when I said hello to Dominique Wilkins at a sushi joint in Provo just this last Friday.
    Yeah Mark (brother Mark), the Human Highlight Film was in Provo eating sushi and I was there to witness the highlight.
    Anyway, my wife liked the book, and remembers it being dirty and entertaining. But now I am mad at you, Marc (non-brother Marc) because you reviewed this book in exactly the same way I would complain about something like that. So no matter when I read it, I will be cautious of that, and as soon as it seeps through, I will recognize it and not like it.
    So thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,

    I hope that we do get the chance to meet some day, so that I can play cat and mouse with you about being friends. Perhaps over sushi in Provo? I also hereby call into question your celebrity sighting of Dominique Wilkins in Provo. Given the paucity of black people in Provo (as Brohammas has so ably demonstrated), you'd probably be more likely to see him at Walmart.

    I would be sorry if I've ruined a book-reading experience. But not too, because I would be tickled if my opinion influenced someone else's. I hope that every time Jonathan Franzen's smug bespectacled smirk asserts itself in the narrative while you're reading, my own smug bespectacled smirk accompanies him. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marc,

    In the spirit of The Apron Stage, let me just say that I loved this post! It's so true and I have experienced it myself which makes it so true! You're the best--Can I steal your material and sit at your feet and learn? I knew you would come up with something great. I was taking my kids to Joy School this morning and I thought to myself, "I wonder what Marc over at Ido.Iwill. is thinking about?" I don't even know you but I feel like I know your life and what you read!!! Ha! When I got married, I told my spouse that we should start a book club where we read things that are not just Mormon-approved, and she said "Really?" It was so funny and now you understand--I'll never look at books with white old men the same way again. Thanks for this post, and I testify of its trueness because I my wife and I have similar funny experiences all the time and I want to tell you about all of them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marc,

    What you described is precisely the reason why I could never get myself to read The Corrections. When I was first at Arizona and trying to study contemporary cool guy literature, I realized that it is all Philip Roth having anxieties about being old, horny, smart, and Jewish. I just got sick of it--it was like a constant desire for decadence masked as pithy observations and musings about mortality. One of the reasons that this kind of stuff gets so highly praised is that the reviewers are, for the most part, the same demographic as the authors. I will say, though, that I remember reading Saul Bellow and being floored by how smart his stuff was. But I guess that isn't the point, right?

    What I like the most about your thoughts are the two points at the end. I can't stress your first point enough--whatever happened to the "lose yourself to find yourself" mantra? I notice that comments in graduate seminars become more and more about personal anxieties and less and less about sympathy, God, words, and truth. Call me conservative, but if self-reflection and self consciousness is the new (and sole) mode of reading and writing, count me out. The second point at the end of your post is one that has been a major concern for some time among composition teachers and universities, but I think they go about it in the wrong way. We are not teaching writing, we are teaching cultural appreciation, which does not good writers make, necessarily. You probably know as much as anyone about how we might approach this, but the expectations of what good writing is seems to me nonsensical in the university. Besides, the publishing industry pigeonholes your work by genre unless you are an already established writer, so publishing becomes difficult if you are trying to do something other than the tried and true.

    By the way, to confirm your feelings, do you remember the bruhaha when Franzen declined Oprah's request to make The Corrections an Oprah book? What do we make of that?

    Good times, and a good post to boot. You like the picture I picked out? I also had one where you are doing your patented feminine leg cross, but I wasn't in that one, so it stayed on the cutting room floor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The problem with "literature" is that it becomes so intent on being insightful that it becomes narrow and trite. I am exactly that guy described by Marc or James (can't remember and too lazy to scroll up) who went to school looking to be a academic/writer only I realized that I would need to commit suicide if I devoted my life to reading, writing and studying this lit all my life. So I went and got my MBA and I'm trying to make my pile of cash while not losing my soul in the process - not as easy as it seems as it turns out.

    signed,
    Marc's brother John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too much soul and too little money is way overrated, just so you know John.

    But what is really weird here is that I have a brother named Mark and a brother named John, and now John has commented on Marc's post, and they are brothers but they are not my brothers. SOOOOOO WEIRD!!!

    And even stranger is that I believe Jeff made a comment, or at least asked a question about the Human Highlight being in Provo. That is cool. Jeff, when are you going to do a guest post?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to comment on the names too, but was trying to keep my comments brief. I was also going to comment on how we men complain about our portrayals, but that women have historically (and continue) had a lot more to worry about. I thought that might make me seem a little too hoity-toity. As Marc will attest, I'm not hoity-toity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Marc!

    Great post--despite the fact that you did not like the book that I recommended. I think you have hit on something that has often bothered me as well. Philip Roth and John Updike certainly belong on your list.

    Despite this, I fully enjoyed Franzen. I thought the text was brilliant and maybe he tried hard to be brilliant, but you have to give him credit for achieving it. Same with Philip Roth. I have read 4 of his books and all of them are about his own sexual frustrations and identity crisis, but they are all so well written that I forgive him his angst. You would think I would be more sensitive to this as a woman of color who has never ever had the desire to enter academia (in the literature world)-maybe the angst is so foreign that I can just drive by and acknowledge it without any emotional reponse. Having said that, I think most authors write their own angst (there are a few that escape it or are so flexible that you just can't tell: Ishiguro and McCarthy are good examples). But most of my favorite female authors also write about their own black female angst. Try identifying anything but five or six themes in any of Morrison's novels: racism, sexism, female friendship, self hatred, sexual abuse, self-hatred. So I guess while White Male angst may be more annoying because of the undertone of privilege and narcissism, I don't think White Men are alone in their angst.

    And I am not disagreeing with your reading at all and not defending the White man by any means. I completely agree that the cannon needs to include different voices, but you are right, the cannon makers are often white men in academia with whom that angst resonates. So the award winners are the same. Or the award winners become the exotified "other." This year, the Dublin award was either going to go to Junot Diaz or Michael Thomas--both black or hispanic men writing about black male or hispanic male angst. Michael Thomas, the winner (whose book I am reading now and I think is good--not sure about great yet), said that he worried whether he was being exotified by the award. Maybe that's just silly black male angst coming up, but maybe it's true.

    Anyway, I do wish there were more great works by people other than white men in academia about things other than their own ridiculous problems. But the Corrections, I fully enjoyed.

    Great thoughts, Marc. When are you guys coming back? We need to take our uniquely named kids to eat Falafel in the park one of these days! ;)

    Mehrsa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Touche, Mehrsa, toooooshay. Your kids don't have curly hair, though, if I got my blog pictures right. Nor does Harper. I think that accusation would have to fall on Jeff and Shima. And as for uniquely named kids, my nieces' and nephews' names are Walden, Land, Alpha, Wei Ming, and Ayumi, among others. As the father of a Maria, Henry, and Calvin, I must poke fun of names out of normative jealousy. Just don't exclude me from the falafel party when I visit New York. I promise to be polite, even if I will talk way too much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeff--

    Exactly. Plus at a sushi restaurant??

    James--

    The picture is okay, but I was hoping you'd find one where I look a little more smug. The feminine leg cross might just have done the trick.

    Mehrsa--

    I thought about Roth and Updike, but the books that I've read by them (American Pastoral and Rabbit is Rich) both have sort of everyman subjects--they at least use non-academic characters as an outlet for their own angst. I agree though, that Franzen is shooting to be accepted by the holy triumvirate of contemporary American snooty lit. of Delillo, Updike, and Roth. Probably Whitehead and Diaz (I could hardly stand that book) could be guilty of the same smug aspirations.

    Also you make an excellent point about all writers writing from their own angst. I suppose angst make for good material. My dad said I'd never become a good writer because I'm not a tortured enough soul. Certainly there's something to the angst Franzen et al have tapped into, but I think we can agree that it's overrepresented. And, as James hints at, it encourages hypochondria, depression, and severe solipsism.

    We get back Friday night late. I'm just glad that I'm not the only one being teased for being snooty. We can meet in the park sometime next week--we'll bring brie.

    John--

    I'm not concerned with representation. The anxieties Franzen and others chronicle surely exist--they just don't deserve to be so cunningly validated. I'm concerned with subject--more contemporary literature needs to look outward rather than inward. Also women writers seem comfortable writing about male subjects, but I can't think of a male writing primarily about a female--I must be wrong about this one.

    James again--

    I had forgotten about the Oprah kerfuffle. Even though I don't respect Oprah, I thought it was a terribly ungracious thing to do, and it fits the smug image of him I have in his mind. When are you coming to NYC? It's not the OZ, but it's a great place to visit. It would make our top 10 events of the year without a doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am guilty of naming a kid Alpha, but I had good reason, as I thought my Grandma Alpha was pretty nice. And James don't forget to mention that my other daughter's name is Mary Jane, and she was born on 4/20, so whenever cool-names-parents want to talk cool-names, throw that one out.
    And yes, Dominique Wilkins was in Provo eating Sushi. I wondered for a bit, until a really dumb guy yelled "Nique, what's up, man!", and Mr Wilkins gave him a very annoyed smile. So that wins my oddest celebrity sighting, just over seeing Anthony Anderson in Mom's Safeway store.

    ReplyDelete